Quake Helped to Discover a New Geological Fault in Costa Rica

The analysis of the 5.5-magnitude earthquake occurred last November 30, in Capellades, enabled scientists Lepolt Linkimer and Gerardo J. Soto to discover a new geological fault in Costa Rica.

Linkimer explained that the fault lies between Turrialba and Irazu volcanoes, five kilometers away from each other, is about six kilometers long and located 45 kilometers southeast from the capital.

He also stated that the break of the earth's crust is exactly placed between Liebres farm and the headwaters of Toro Amarillo river.

The scientist of the National Seismological Network, belonging to the University of Costa Rica, said that the fault still had no name and added that they were generally named after the place where they were located.

                                                                       

  • Published in World

5.4-magnitude quake hits central Italy, felt in Rome

A 5.4-magnitude earthquake hit a rural region of central Italy on Wednesday evening, with the impact felt as far away as Rome. The emergency services are inundated with calls, but there are no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

The earthquake was detected at 7:11pm local time, about 66km to the southeast of Perugia, striking a mountainous part of the Marche region and lasting several seconds.

@INGVterremoti ML:5.4 2016-10-26 17:10:36 UTC Lat=42.88 Lon=13.13 Prof=9Km Zona=Macerata. http://bit.ly/2eRRwbo

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) initially stated the earthquake magnitude as 5.6, but figures from Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology revised it down to 5.4. The exact epicenter of the tremblor remains unclear, but it was relatively shallow, at about 10km below ground.

A video posted by a Huffington Post journalist shows rubble strewn through the streets of Visso, a commune less than 10 km from the epicenter. There are no functioning street lights, suggesting that electricity has been cut.

@clapaudice Chiesa di Visso, crolli

Within an hour of the earthquake, there was a series of small but noticeable aftershocks, ranging in magnitude from 2.5 to 2.8.

@DanielePinto Civil Prot Agency says so far no reports of injuries following 5.4M in central Apennines. Panicked people in streets.

@JackieMilesiF Earthquake 5.4 in Central Italy, I felt it as my chair & table moved as if we were at sea, a wave sensation for a few seconds...

Eyewitnesses reported a powerful tremor in the capital on the western side of the country, saying that centuries-old buildings were shaking.

Wednesday’s quake occurred less than 70km to the north of Amatrice, a village in the seismically unstable central Apennines region that was hit by a series of earthquakes in August, resulting in nearly 300 deaths. The strongest impact there was a 6.2 earthquake on August 24, followed by more than a dozen aftershocks over the next several days.

The latest quake is part of the same seismic process as the temblor that destroyed the town of Amatrice this August, local media reported citing seismologists.

  • Published in World

Dozens dead after 6.2 earthquake strikes Italy

A 6.2 magnitude earthquake hit the center of Italy in the early hours of Wednesday morning, leveling buildings and burying people underneath the rubble

As many as 50 people were reported killed and dozens more were missing or feared dead Wednesday after a magnitude 6.2 earthquake and a series of aftershocks struck several towns in central Italy, according Italy's civil protection agency.

The ANSA news agency said 35 of the dead were in the small town of Amatrice alone, with another 17 dead in the province of Ascoli Piceno, which includes Pescara del Tronto.

The hardest-hit towns were Amatrice and Accumoli near Rieti, about 80 miles northeast of Rome.

As rescue teams using bulldozers and their bare hands clawed through piles of rubble, authorities warned that the death toll is likely to rise.

Mayor Sergio Pirozzi, the mayor of Amatrice, tells the Associated Press that rescue teams are trying to reach all 69 hamlets around his town.

“Half of the town doesn’t exist anymore,”  Pirozzi told RAI-TV. “People are stuck underneath the rubble. Houses are no longer there.”

Police near the town of Ascoli said they could hear cries for help from under the rubble but lacked the heavy equipment to move the rocks, according the RAI radio.

In Accumoli, one witness told the Italian news agency ANSA that fire and police teams looking for a young couple and two children in a pile of rubble were alternating earth moving equipment with individuals using bare hands.

Italy's civil protection agency says at least 37 people have died in the magnitude 6 quake that struck central Italy. Crews are looking through the rubble of collapsed buildings for survivors and victims. (Aug. 24) AP

Several buildings collapsed and lights went out after the earthquake, Pirozzi said. He said he had trouble communicating with emergency responders and couldn't reach the hospital. The center of Amatrice was devastated and homes collapsed on residents as they slept.

“The whole ceiling fell but did not hit me,” resident Maria Gianni told the AP. “I just managed to put a pillow on my head and I wasn’t hit luckily, just slightly injured my leg.”

The local hospital was also badly hit, forcing the wounded and stretcher-bearers to gather in front of the building. Ambulances then transferred patients to other towns.


The picturesque medieval town of about 3,000 residents — best known as the home of “pasta all’amatriciana” — is remote and was cut off after a bridge connecting the town and the rest of the region was damaged in the quake.

Search parties sifted through the rubble in various towns and villages as the sun rose. It became clear for some officials that the extent of the damage was worse than they initially thought.

"Now that daylight has come, we see that the situation is even more dreadful than we feared with buildings collapsed, people trapped under the rubble and no sound of life," Stefano Pertucci, mayor of Accumoli mayor, told RAI-TV.

“We need chain saws, shears to cut iron bars, and jacks to remove beams: everything, we need everything,” civil protection worker Andrea Gentili told the AP.

Fabrizio Curcio, the director of Italy’s civil protection agency, activated national emergency procedures. He said the quake was on par with one in L'Aquilla in 2009 that left more than 300 people dead.

The first earthquake struck around 3:30 a.m. local time near Norcia, a small town roughly 105 miles from Rome, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. No victims were reported there, but the quakes damaged buildings, according to RaiNews24.

“Much of our patrimony is damaged, but there are no victims,” Mayor Nicola Alemanno told RaiNews24. “That is the good news.”

Italian Premier Matteo Renzi, who is heading to the zone later Wednesday, says the immediate priority is to rescue any survivors.

In brief remarks, Renzi thanked rescue workers who dug through debris, some with their bare hands, to reach residents crushed by their homes.

Renzi says that in times of trouble, Italy shows its true face. He says: “No family, no city, no hamlet will be left alone.”

  • Published in World

Cuban President Raúl Castro Sends Condolences to Japan over Quake Victims

President Raúl Castro has sent a message of condolences to Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in the wake of the death and severe devastation caused to the Asian country by a series of earthquakes over the weekend.

In the message, on behalf of the Cuban government and people, President Raúl expresses condolences and sympathy to the people and government of Japan, and especially to the quakes victims and their families.

The latest seismic events in Japan, including more than 250 aftershocks over the past 72 hours, have so far caused 50 deaths, injuries to thousands of people and the evacuation of nearly 250,000 others.

  • Published in Now

Cuban doctors depart for Ecuador to assist quake victims

A Cuban 26-member emergency medical brigade departed for Ecuador on Sunday, as hundreds of other Cuban doctors are in that country assisting the victims of the 7.8 quake that has caused huge human loss and property damage in the coastal zone of that South American nation.

The brigade includes specialists with the international Henry Reeve contingent and a rescue team. They were seen off by Health Minister Roberto Morales, who said they are taking first aid kits of disposable materials and pharmaceuticals, for a whole month of emergency work.

Meanwhile, Cuban ambassador in Ecuador, Rafael Dausa, said that all 613 health professionals working in that country are ready to go to affected regions and assist the quake victims.

The Ecuadorian government deployed some 14 thousand police to help assist the victims; President Rafael Correa cancelled his scheduled visit to the Vatican to go to the areas affected by the quake.

  • Published in Cuba

President of Cuba Expresses Condolences and Solidarity to Ecuador

President of Cuba, Raul Castro, sent a message of condolences to his Ecuadorian counterpart, Rafael Correa, after the earthquake that left at least 246 dead and 2,527 wounded in the South American country.

Receive the most heartfelt condolences, which I extend to the families of the victims and the Ecuadorian people, as well as our solidarity, the Cuban president said in a letter to which Prensa Latina had access.

The Head of State of the Caribbean island also assured Correa that 'you can count, as always, with the collaboration of Cuba'.

The earthquake of last Saturday reached the 7.8 magnitude on the Richter scale and devastated several cities and towns in the northwestern coast of Ecuador.

The death toll could rise in the coming hours, because according to reports, there are dozens of people trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings.

  • Published in Now
Subscribe to this RSS feed