Gaza City: Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal on Thursday rejected any attempt to disarm his Palestinian Islamist movement in Gaza as demanded by Israel.
"The weapons of the resistance are sacred and we will not accept that they be on the agenda" of future negotiations with Israel, Meshaal told a news conference in Doha where he lives in exile.
Israel has consistently linked the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip, devastated during its 50-day war with Hamas that ended on Tuesday, to the territory's demilitarisation.
- Israel approves largest West Bank settlement construction in 25 years
- Time to assassinate Syrian President Assad & get to his allies in Iran â€“ Israeli minister
- Palestinian Leader Warns of US Interference in the Middle East
- Israel mulls hiring foreign doctors to force-feed Palestinians hunger strikers â€“ media
- UN Report Describes Humanitarian Crisis in the Gaza Strip